Friday, November 11, 2005

Poetry Review

I pretty much always like Musie's poems, but I don't generally say anything, because I figure my reviews fall in the "don't know much, but know what I like" category. So I don't say much about Coyote's poems either, even though I like them too.

Coyote doesn't really like wearing a spacesuit. It interferes with his ability to sniff himself.The other night I ran into Coyote at the Cantina and he brought up the poem 5M wrote on November Sixth. (The one with the "your leg against my thigh and yellow-shot blue eye pressed into mine".) I've reproduced Coyote's concise but heartfelt review in the accompanying cartoon.

I suspect this poem is what triggered the Chair's "final" posting. One of his best, I thought. Good and punchy, and introduced several dating concepts that haven't been overworked on Seinfeld and Sex and the City, and are relevent to life in Ottawa.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey 4th Dwarf, why don't you write more comments about Coyote's poems? I write silly comments there all the time, because I like the poems!
I like your drawings.

4th Dwarf said...

Wow! Lucy, I'm all flustered that you like my drawings.

Here is why I don't write many comments about Coyote's poems:

1) We have friends who would give us a hard time if I was always leaving him comments saying "good one, Coyote!"

2) So, I tell him when I see him that I like them.

3) If I start commenting on his poems, other people might expect me to comment on their poems. Including people who write poems that I don't understand but apparently are important works of literature.

4) Have you ever noticed that sometimes, Coyote writes a perfect poem and then there's a comment that causes him to write a really long comment in reply that explains all sorts of stuff? I like to preserve the mystery.

Anonymous said...

Hey I just saw what others have said about you, you've written things I said about your drawings. It makes me feel I said some very important things (sitting up straight!) since it's in a list, now. (har har!).
I do hope I am not one of those people who make Coyote or any other poet write out long explanatory notes. Although, I have enjoyed one of those on Coyote's blog.
Do you write poetry too?

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean by those apparently important literary works that fly way above one's head. Sigh
I think you should draw more often.

(I have this habit of not writing everything in one go and remembering other things that I wanted to write, later on. Hence the number of comments from me increases. I've done this often on Coyote's blog too. I hope to mend it, but in the interim, do bear with it.)

I smile now.

4th Dwarf said...

Lucy, you may leave as many comments as you like. They will always be welcome.

I write bitingly, insightful social commentary, but, alas, I am not a poet.

I actually draw quite a lot, but the other students in my astronaut classes think it strange when I bring out my little pencil crayons during lectures.

ether said...

Why do they think it funny? Don't they know, pencil stubs are precious, discreet, indispensible tools?
Do post more drawings. Infact, if you have something about jazz, would you please leave it on my blog?
Thanks already and cheerio.

4th Dwarf said...

Actually, fingers, I don't think my classmates do appreciate the indispensibility of coloured pencils.

But I think even you would find my little set funny.

ether said...

Why would I find it funny? Do you have a picture of your set of pencils?